Thursday, November 18, 2010

Too blessed to be stressed…


c. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3421
/3298557327_7bc4bb2a7e.jpg
Thanksgiving, the holiday, doesn’t actually stress me out as much as thanksgiving, the concept does. My parents do Thanksgiving dinner, so they are the ones who do the stressing out about that. My dreamy boyfriend and I enjoy the fruits of their labor. [I do help out a little].

Occasionally I’ll hear someone use the phrase, “I’m too blessed to be stressed.” It always makes me think, Why can’t I have that mindset? And I tell myself that next time I am stressed, I’ll repeat that saying to myself.

With the Thanksgiving holiday around the corner, I always feel somewhat guilty for stressing out about seemingly trivial things when I have so much to be thankful for. And to be honest that kind of stresses me out too. [Ugh, I’m such an ungrateful person].

It’s all a matter of focus, though. If I am concentrating on the aggravations of my daily life, which can build up, if I’m keeping count, it’s hard to be thankful for the many good things I have.

Rhonda Byrne, author of The Secret,  suggests not allowing negative things to take up space in your brain. I disagree with this. How am I supposed to fix them if I don’t think about them? I just can’t let them become my focus.

I am, after all, too blessed to be stressed.

c. 2010

2 comments:

  1. great observation Brooke! We are so blessed. I hate that more and more our society favors Christmas (which has become only about getting;wanting) over giving Thanks for all God has given us. Too blessed to be stressed for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for reading & commenting, tim! you are right on!...b

    ReplyDelete