Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Worst first day ever


A.J. Clementes c. totallywp.com
 “F-----g s--t,” was probably not the best first phrase to utter on national TV on your first day as a news anchor.

First days on the job are generally not anybody’s best. I’m pretty sure I cried on my first day at Starbucks and I stumbled around so much on my first day at the Barnes & Noble Café, that they were probably ready to fire me right then. Several first days of my design jobs ended in fury, as well.

But A.J. Clemente had the worst first day ever….

His first job as a news anchor will not soon be forgotten. He was coanchoring at KFYR, an affiliate NBC station in Bismarck, North Dakota. He didn’t realize he was on the air when he unwittingly dropped the F-bomb. 

He was practicing pronouncing London Marathon winner, Tsegaye Kebede's, name, when the newbie let loose with a few other words that he, unfortunately pronounced all too well. Understandably startled, he stumbled through the rest of his newscast.

Van Tieu, A.J. Clemnte c. hot975fm.com
The poor choice of words left the station hustling for damage control, and Clemente hustling for a prayer of a second newscast, which he didn’t get.

His co-anchor, Van Tieu explained.

"We were caught off guard and [Clemente] didn't realize his microphone was on. And while that was no excuse - we do train our reporters to always assume that any microphone is live at any time - unfortunately we cannot take back what was said. But, we do apologize and hope that you may forgive us and rest assured, that something like this will not happen again," she said.

Stress and nerves will definitely cause us to act inappropriately. It’s certainly not the first time something like this has happened. I’m sure everyone remembers FOX News, Shepard Smith’s embarrassing slip, reporting on Jennifer Lopez.

He seems to be taking it in stride. After the incident, he tweeted.
"Unfortunately KFYRTV has decided to let me go. Thank you to them and everyone in ND for the opportunity and everyone for the support."

Mistakes are going to happen. Your recovery is what’s most important. This is good publicity for him.

"Rookie mistake," Clemente said. "I'm a free agent. Can't help but laugh at myself and stay positive. Wish I didn't trip over my 'freaking shoes' out of the gate."


 c. 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment