Thursday, November 22, 2012

A news story to brighten your day


Saundra Adams and Chancellor
c. sportsillustrated.cnn.com

Amid all of the recent bad news, it was refreshing and unexpected to find some good news. This was especially touching for me because I remember exactly when this happened.

Thirteen years ago, the Carolina Panthers was a brand new team. I’m not a football fan, but it was hard not to get caught up in the excitement of our town’s first NFL team. Jerry Richardson, the owner of the team, frequented the coffee shop where I worked at the time.

I remember when the day I learned of Rae Carruth. He was all over the news because he had his pregnant ex-girlfriend, Cherika Adams, shot and killed. This was a top news story that captured the attention of everyone. I was particularly interested because the murders took place on the road I took home on every night from my boyfriend at the time’s apartment; right about the same time.

We had broken up the day before. It was a bit chilling to hear the news of that night, to say the least. Relief cut through my sadness; I was so glad I hadn’t been there.

Thirteen years passed, and I have given little thought to it, until today when I saw the headline, Inside story: What happened to the unborn son Rae Carruth tried to kill.

I had forgotten she had given birth to the baby, despite the 4 gunshot wounds. Curious, I read the article, not expecting what I found.

The bullets just missed the baby, but Chancellor Lee Adams was born with cerebral palsy. The doctors originally thought he would never walk or talk, but he is proving them wrong.

Sports Illustrated writer, Thomas Lake said,

c. zimbio.com
On the surface, it's hard to imagine a set of life circumstances much worse than this. Which is why I was so astonished when I saw the boy. It's my job to put things into words, but I still can't find the right words to describe him. None of them say it strongly enough. He is the happiest person I've ever met. There's a light inside him that I've never seen anywhere else. I've talked to several other people about his effect on me, and they say it happened to them too. Wherever he goes -- to church, to physical therapy, to the Special Olympics -- he makes people feel better by his mere presence. When he looks into your eyes and says hello, the whole thing feels almost spiritual. And then, of course, you have to ask yourself: If a kid like this can be so happy, what right do I have to complain?

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/thomas_lake/09/07/rae-carruth/index.html#ixzz26IRAIsZm


I read how Saundra Adams, Chancellor’s grandmother, quit her job and raised him, taking the extra care needed to meet his special needs, including hand feeding him and taking him to his weekly therapy sessions. He learned to speak and is learning to walk. [At 10, the wheelchair bound, Chancellor could take 100 steps on his own.]

"I try to instill lots of positive affirmations, number one," said Saundra Adams, Cherica's mother. "I want Chancellor to know above everything else that he is loved. No matter who is in his life, who may not be in his life, but he is loved unconditionally."

"I believe he is going to overcome every challenge before him. It just takes time."
Adams said.

Pulling my heart a little more, she told News36’s Sonja Gantt that the only one she believes is truly remorseful is hired hit man, Van Brett Watkins. He pulled the trigger. and is serving 40 to 50 years. He's sent her several letters from prison, some even including $5 or $10 to try and help out with the care of Chancellor.

I just love stories like this of how beauty can come from just the depths of stress and ugliness.

c. 2012




2 comments:

  1. There is no doubt in my mind that Chancellor is here for a reason. God has big plans for him! God bless his grandmother for raising him, and - seriously - God bless Van Brett Watkins, because I think he really is sorry for what he did. For all of the tragedy involved, there is an equal amount of good that has happened, and that is what will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely. Not to minimize the sufferings and trials they have all gone through, I definitely agree that Chancellor is such a gift. I pray he succeeds in everything he does.....b

    ReplyDelete